Are you excited for Halloween on Sunday? We are! Halloween is one of our favorite holidays because we love dressing up and spending time with our family and pals.
While you are having fun for Halloween, you can do something good for the environment at the same time! Here are 5 ways you can go green this Halloween:
1. Make your own costume! – Instead of buying a costume, why not use your imagination and make your own! It is really fun to use your creativity to transform old clothes and accessories into a one-of-a-kind creation! You can even make a costume that makes an eco-statement. For instance, use an old cardboard box and cut holes in it for your arms, legs, and head. Draw a recycling symbol on it (like the one on Recycle Kyle’s shirt) and turn yourself into a recycling bin!
2. Throw a green party! – If you have a Halloween party, use reusable cups, plates, and utensils that you can wash. If you are using disposable ones, make sure they are biodegradable so you’re still doing something good for the planet!
3. Make a reusable trick-or-treat bag! – Another fun Halloween project you can do is to make your own reusable trick-or-treat bag! Ask your parents for an old bucket, pail, or pillowcase that you can use to carry your treats. Have fun decorating it!
4. Decorate a pumpkin! – We love decorating pumpkins for Halloween. We always find the best organic pumpkins at local farmers’ markets. If you plan on decorating and carving a pumpkin with your family, use one of these cool wildlife stencils from the World Wildlife Fund: link
5. Trick-or-Treating! – When you go trick-or-treating, walk around the neighborhood instead of driving! It’s a great way to keep carbon emissions low and stay fit. Also, make sure to stay safe and trick-or-treat with an adult.
We hope you have a fun and safe Halloween!